"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." Spencer W. Kimball

May 20, 2009

Shane and the Two-Bites Taste Rule


Whenever Shane tastes something he sticks to a strict two-bites taste rule.  He says the first bite cleanses his palate so that the true flavors of the food come out in the second bite. The only problem with this rule, and his sister will agree:  he takes really big bites!  

The other night as we were eating ice cream, chocolate peanut butter for me and triple chocolate for Shane, I asked Shane if he wanted to taste mine.  Not being a chocolate peanut butter fan (gasp!), he declined but offered me a taste of his.  That triple chocolate ice cream is pretty tasty and I'll be the first to admit that I "tasted" it with a few bites more than was necessary.  After my 3rd or 4th taste of his ice cream I noticed a coolness had settled over the room and Shane's postures has become a bit stiff.  Could it be possible that my food loving and tasting husband had his feathers ruffled over a little ice cream?  I found the situation amusing and couldn't help myself from laughing out loud. He got himself another scoop of ice cream, I kept my spoon in my own bowl for the remainder of the evening and all was well.

The next day I offered Shane a bite of my toast and when his bite consisted of almost 1/2 the piece I looked at him and said," Seriously?  And you were upset when I tasted your ice cream?"

His quick reply was a line from a story I'd shared in seminary that very morning,"You knew what I was when you picked me up!"

How could I not be in love with such a passionate guy!

4 comments:

birdmama said...

My dad seriously never had a whole sandwich for himself. My mom would make it for him and take a "love bite" out of it. He'd grumble and tease her, but now he smiles about it. I love the 2-bite rule, but don't know if I could stop myself.

camille said...

I love reading your blog and see what is going on with you even though I feel like I see you often! You guys are the greatest!!!

Linds Forrest said...

ha ha... the two bite rule. Classic. You two are so funny and cute together. I love it. The best is when he ate half your toast and even better is you called him on it. ha ha.

Angela said...

That is so fun!! Husbands crack me up!! Glad you guys are still having fun!!! :)