"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." Spencer W. Kimball

May 11, 2009

What are your Intentions?

Soon after my parents met my dad went to pick my mom up for a date and was met by her tough older brother George who invited my dad out to the barn to have a talk.  My mom, having heard someone at the door, went into the living room to greet my dad only to find the room empty.  She was furious to learn that George had taken my dad out to find out what his intentions were with "his baby sister".   Needless to say, my dad wasn't scared off like my mom feared he would be, and they were married a few months later. 

I like to think the conversation Uncle George had with my dad about his intentions was a catalyst in their relationship that got my dad to really take a look at his life and see what my mom could add to it.  

Grenville Kleiser says the following about intentions:

"The great things you intend to do some time must have a beginning if they are ever to be done, so begin something worthwhile today."

Shane and I are pretty good at setting long - term goals but are in need of improvement when it comes to making the short-term goals that lead the the accomplishment of those long-term goals.  Last week we decided to set weekly intentions, or short-term goals, we plan to accomplish during the week. 
 
My intentions for this past week were:
1.  Walk or jog 10 miles.
2.  Hang up my clothes when I get home from seminary (instead of putting them in a pile until the end of the week!)
3.  Go to the temple.

What are your Intentions?

1 comment:

Tamara Jacobs said...

i love that picture of your parents. they are beautiful. i need to do better with my intentions too. my intentions are to get ready more often and to keep up on laundry.